Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The straw dilemma

So this is pretty pitiful, and probably not interesting to many... but I'd like to see what people think about this.

Every time I go to Chick Fil A, which is pretty much the only place I get take-out, they give me straws in the bag to go.  I take it home, and Jason and I don't use straws - we take the lids off and drink from the cup itself.  I hate to be wasteful though, so I put the straws in a drawer in the kitchen.  The other day, while searching for something else in that drawer, I got fed up with the mound of straws.  So I took them out, and I was amazed at the amount.  I've probably been keeping them for at least a year, and I don't even get take out food that much.  I started keeping them just as a thought of, "Hey, I might have some other use for them some day, or might run into a time when I need straws."  (Hahahahaha, right...)

So here's what came out...







I keep my asparagus rubber bands... I rather think the straws now rather fondly resemble asparagus from the store...

These picture actually don't make it look so bad.  But I promise, I was having issues even holding them all at once.  They were OVERFLOWING in my kitchen drawer, where they probably took up 80-90% of the space.

As far as I know, straws aren't recyclable, which is sad, because I'd have many to throw that way.  So does anybody need a bunch of straws?  I just hate throwing things away.  And how do I stop the pile from growing even more?  Do I hand them back every time after fishing them out of the bag while in line at the drive thru before I pull away?  Can I take my asparagus bunch of straws back to Chick Fil A every now and then and tell them I don't need them?  Or maybe just throw them into the straw container at the condiment counter? :-) Should I tell them as I order my food that I don't need straws?  Haha, because those people are so speedy that I don't even have time to do that when I pull up to the window before I get my bag handed out to me.

So what to do with the extra?

4 comments:

Mary-Leah said...

Clearly you have no children! Give those straws to someone with children and they will use them up, craft the heck out of them, make a giant straw or hook them together to make fun shapes. Straws are never wasted in our house and yes, I have actually had to PURCHASE straws to keep up with the need. If you don't have anyone with kids you can give them to, start putting them out at parties and people will generally use them up! Straws are fun (and why don't you use them? Weird! LOL!)

Sarah said...

Haha, no, no children yet! If I was near you I'd definitely give'em all to you guys! Yeah I use them in drinks when on the run in the car or something, but at home I just prefer to drink out of the cup. I find it helps me not drink as much too.

Sydney said...

Mo always has the best ideas when it comes to crafts and using up things you THINK you don't need! :) I would say, though, that if you can't utilize her idea's, just tell them when you order to please leave out the straws that you don't need them. Good luck! (Btw, I have been throwing away/donating sooooo much random stuff since we got back and it is hard for me to throw away anything. Not in the case with straws, but nearly everything else can be donated if it is gently used or can be repurposed. I have vases and baskets and unopened things I knew I'd never use... thrift stores and charity places, hooray! :))

Sarah said...

YES! I am the same way. I really need to get in a mode one of these days where I just purge so much stuff. I have NO room where I am now, and it's just because of SO. MUCH. STUFF. I don't even know how I accumulated it all. But yes, I will definitely be donating lots of items coming up soon.

Including straws. :-D