Friday, August 21, 2009

Welcome!

So I've been thinking about starting a blog for a while now. I've read them for a long time, and usually don't even think about the fact that it's somebody's personal blog. My cousin also keeps one, and she's the main reason I've seriously considered one myself, after seeing the benefits of hers and how easy it can be. (Stay tuned for a fun little tribute next time!) So I got to thinking about the different things I could write about, and I think I've come up with some starter ideas. We'll see.

The name... haha, surprisingly, many other people out there consider themselves part of a nut house besides just me, which is why I had to improvise a tad on the domain. The idea actually came to me the other night when I was almost asleep (isn't that when we all do our most clear thinking?). I love garden flags, and I frequent the local Ace Hardware because they always have a great selection. So Jason and I were in there a few weeks ago, and he pointed out one that said "Welcome to the Nut House" with a lovely little squirrel and acorns to match. (More on why he noticed it out of all the others in a moment.) I didn't get the flag that day, but it's been on my mind constantly, just because it matches us so well. So today, as I was gearing up to start my blog, I stopped by there on my way home, and they still had it! You never know, the way those garden flags can come and go... (Mom - make a note, their spring flags are going on sale!) So, here's the lovely inspiration, which is not planned to go outside to weather the elements:


On to why THIS flag... First off, I'm crazy.  I'll go ahead and tell ya that.  I think I have more crazy moments than sane ones.  So do most of the people I'm close to, haha (yall know it).  Second... "Nut" is a term of endearment for me, really. I call Jason a nut all the time. It's also what my Dad gets called when he's acting silly, or my brother when he makes no sense, or my mom when she's spurring on our giggle fests. We're all just crazy, in a good way of course. I can't help it - "Nut" is something that's ingrained in me... from who else but my Daddy. :-) Wanna know where HE got it? One guess is all you should need, come on, guess...

Yes, The Andy Griffith Show. Barney called Ernest T a nut, multiple times, to his face and not to his face. Andy called Barney a nut. Hmm... what else am I forgetting? My most memorable quote is this one:

Andy: If you ask me, this Ernest T. Bass is a strange and weird character.
Briscoe: Just plain ornery is what he is.
Barney: I think he's a nut.

You'd probably have to see it. And all the other TAGS episodes, to get the full endearment effect. Go watch an episode called Mountain Wedding if you never have before... it's a good place to start. :-)

I also have an issue with squirrels invading my birdfeeder.  I have lots pictures and videos of that, mainly because they don't run anymore when I bang on the glass door, they just look at me and almost grin out of spite, then go back to ravaging the birdfeeder.  Haha, more on that later.

Anyway, there's a looooong history of crazy nuts in our family anyway, so it's perfectly fitting. I hope this can bring some smiles to you and light up your day most of the time, at least just a little. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Sydney said...

Yay! I'm so glad you started a blog too! I can't wait to stay caught up on what's going on in your life. Living so far apart, I think it's a great way to feel a more personal connection to people. I'm so glad we got to see you recently and hopefully it won't be nearly as long in between visits this time! :)